Chennai G.p.o., Chennai - 600001
Parrys Corner is one of the major commercial area in Chennai.It was surrounded by important Head offices in chennai.Many important Places Like Madras High court, Chennai Collector Office, Chennai General Post Office, Chennai Harbour,Broadway Bus Terminus are Located Near by Parrys Corner.It Consists of Many Shops and Many Commercial Complexes.It is among one of the busiest Place in Chennai.
Broadway Bus Terminus
The Broadway bus terminus is the largest city bus terminus of the Metropolitan Transport Corporation (Chennai). It is located opposite the Madras High Court in Georgetown, Chennai.
Chennai Beach Station
Chennai Beach is a train terminus of the Southern Railway Network in Chennai, India. This station handles mainly suburban trains in Chennai suburban railway and a few passenger trains. The station is named after High Court Beach which was later built up as part of Chennai Port, and not after Marina Beach, which is located a few kilometres away and is served by Chepauk, Triplicane and Lighthouse stations of the MRTS line.
Chennai General Post Office
Chennai GPO is one among the four biggest GPOs in India and its existance is pre Indipendace of India.
Chennai Port is the Second largest Port of India, behind the Mumbai Port. It is over 125 years old. This was the major travel port before becoming the major container port.It is a substantial reason for the economic growth of Tamilnadu, especially for the manufacturing boom in South India.
The old Collectorate Building in the present campus at Rajaji Salai, Chennai-1 was constructed in the year 1793. It was named after Lord Bentinck, the Governor of Madras Presidency. In this building, Supreme Court as well as High Court of Madras Presidency functioned up to the end of 19th century. After that, Collectorate was housed in the building. Lord William Bentinck was Governor of Madras Presidency up to 1807 and took over the reign of administration at their head quarters in Calcutta as Governor General. It is during his tenure that many of the far reaching welfare policies were framed. English education, education to women, Sati abolition Act, Ryotwari system in land revenue etc., were all introduced
When this old premises was demolished and new one was constructed, it was named after another renowned personality namely, Thiru M.Singaravelar, first advocate from fisherman community. He was one of the founding members of Triplicane Urban Co-operative Society(T.U.C.S) . He worked for the upliftment of poor and downtrodden.
Thus, the Collectorate buildings, both old and new ones have been named after two towering personalities. However, a monument which was constructed in memory of Lord Cornwallis in the campus of old building has been retained and one can see it even today.
Government Stanley Medical College and Hospital
Stanley Medical College and Hospitals is one of the oldest centers in India in the field of medical education. The seed for this institution was sown as early as 1740 when the East India Company first created the medical department. The Stanley Hospital now stands on the old site of the Monegar choultry established in 1782. In 1799 the Madras Native Infirmary was established with Monegar Choultry and leper asylum. .
In 1830, a well known philanthropist Raja Sir Ramasamy Mudaliar endowed a hospital and dispensary in the Native Infirmary. In 1836, Madras University established M.B. & G.M. and L.M & S Medical Courses in the Native Infirmary. In 1903, a hospital assistant course was introduced with the help of the East India Company. In 1911, the first graduating class was awarded their Licensed Medical Practitioner (LMP) diplomas.
In 1933, Five Year D.M. & S (Diploma in Medicine & Surgery) course was inaugurated by Sir George Fredrick Stanley. The school was named for him by the Governor of Madras Presidency on July 2, 1938. In 1941, three medical and surgical units were created. This was expanded to seven medical and surgical units in 1964. In 1938, 72 students studied, and then from 1963, 150 students were admitted each year. In 1964, Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, the President of India, laid the foundation stone for College Auditorium to mark Silver Jubilee Celebration.
Madras High Court
The Madras High Court, one of the landmarks of the metropolis of Chennai, India, and believed to be the second largest judicial complex in the world is located near the beach, one of the important central business districts of chennai.
Madras High Court was established on June 26, 1862 as one of the three High Courts of India (others at Bombay and Calcutta) established at Presidency Towns by Letters Patent granted by Queen Victoria. The jurisdiction of the Madras High Court extends to Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry.
Although the name of the city was changed from Madras to Chennai in 1996, the Court as an institution did not follow suit and remained as the Madras High Court.
Along with the Bombay and Calcutta High Courts, it is one of three Courts which were designated as Supreme Courts for their respective Presidencies prior to the Indian High Courts Act, 1861. The Court has a Letters Patent issued by the British Crown and has been a pioneer in Original Side jurisdiction reform in favour of Indian practitioners, as early as in the 1870s. It is one of the three Chartered High Courts in the country, alongside Bombay and Calcutta.
Masjid e Mamoor
This Masjid is built by Arcot Nawab during 17th century. This mosque and Triplicane Big Mosque both were same design and built together by Nawab.
This very old mosque is located in angappa street, chennai. It stretches from angappa street and covers entire width upto linghi street. It is also commonly referred to as the big mosque.
Parry's Corner is one of the central business district in Chennai, India. Often referred to as simply Parry's, it is situated near the Chennai Port, at the intersection of North Beach Road and NSC Bose Road. It is named after Thomas Parry, a Welsh merchant who set up the EID Parry Company in 1787. The corporate headquarters of the EID Parry Company stand on the corner. The place is an important center for commercial banking and trading, and also a major hub for the intracity bus service. Nowadays the place is so busy with heavy traffic, vendors and road side push cart food vendors.
Sri Kalikambal Temple
The Kalikambal Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Kalikambal (Kamakshi) and Kamateswarar. The temple is located in Thambu Chetty Street, George Town a prominent financial centre of Chennai, India.